August 1, 2018
What do Affiliate Managers Do All Day? Affiliate Manager Guide
Have you ever wondered what affiliate managers do all day? Maybe you’ve heard the term online or in meetings but aren’t quite sure what the role involves. Or perhaps you’re looking to hire one but aren’t clear what kind of responsibilities they can take care of. As an affiliate management company, we know first-hand what it’s like to work in this position and what the role entails. In the rapidly evolving world of online marketing, businesses strive to expand their reach, increase brand awareness, and drive revenue growth. One powerful strategy that has gained immense popularity is affiliate marketing. At the heart of any successful affiliate program lies an indispensable figure – the affiliate manager. In this article, we break down what the key responsibilities and skills of an affiliate manager are, exactly what they do all day, as well as shed light on the significance of an affiliate manager in fostering prosperous partnerships and driving overall success.
in-house affiliate manager
An affiliate manager can handle unlimited creatives and work at a flat rate or percentage. If you are looking to hire an inhouse affiliate, you may be paying a rate or percentage based program. Advertise Purple can assist with a dedicated affiliate manager to best manage your affiliate marketing channel. We have fulltime affiliate manager here to work through your affiliate partners, pay your affiliates and whose skills set is beyond online marketing and business development. Online marketing continues to evolve and our management company can ensure that your digital marketing needs are met through our management skills. Managers are responsible for a lot around here, our performance marketers never stop!
What affiliate managers make
recurring affiliate programs
affiliate marketing programs
An affiliate managers job is no easy task. They are responsible for managing affiliate registration, affiliate management software, overseeing each affiliate account, working with affiliate marketing managers, working with existing affiliates, working with affiliate networks, reviewing impression tracking, account management and understanding the overall digital marketing efforts. With affiliate registration, affiliates get an affiliate log in with an affiliate link and unlimited affiliates resources. At affiliate registration, they can also choose if they want to be paid a rate or percentage based commission. It is the affiliate managers job to choose the right marketing channel for the online affiliate program. You can hire an inhouse affiliate manager or a dedicated affiliate manager to recruits new affiliates. Depending on the affiliate networks, you can pay your affiliates a flat rate or percentage. There is an affiliate marketing glossary with ready digital downloads and unlimited affiliates resources. You can get an affiliate login to your own affiliate portal.
What is an Affiliate Manager? Their Relationship with Affiliates
Understanding Affiliate Marketing: Before diving into the role of an affiliate manager, it is crucial to grasp the fundamentals of affiliate marketing. In simple terms, it is a performance-based marketing strategy where affiliates promote a company’s products or services through various channels and earn a commission for each successful sale, lead, or action generated. Affiliates can be individuals, bloggers, influencers, or even other businesses.
An affiliate manager is a person who manages the online affiliate program for an affiliate merchant or advertiser.
They will recruit new affiliates, manage the onboarding process, and ensure that their audiences are aligned with your target market. They also liaise with existing affiliates to answer their questions, address queries, and resolve any issues that they may be having. An affiliate manager also creates and implements the strategy that has been agreed with the advertiser for the affiliate marketing program. They will make recommendations about the best way to approach a campaign and maximize results based on best practice and experience.
The Role of an Affiliate Manager:
An affiliate manager acts as the crucial link between the business and its affiliate partners, ensuring a smooth and mutually beneficial relationship. Here are the key responsibilities of an affiliate manager:
- Recruitment and Onboarding: Affiliate managers are responsible for identifying potential affiliates who align with the company’s brand values and target audience. They actively recruit and onboard new affiliates, providing them with the necessary resources, guidelines, and support to effectively promote the company’s offerings.
- Relationship Building: Establishing and nurturing strong relationships with affiliates is paramount. Affiliate managers regularly communicate with affiliates, addressing their queries, offering guidance, and building rapport. By fostering a sense of community and trust, they inspire affiliates to perform at their best and remain committed to the partnership.
- Performance Tracking and Optimization: Analyzing the performance of affiliate campaigns is vital for measuring success. Affiliate managers monitor key performance indicators (KPIs), such as conversion rates, click-through rates, and revenue generated. By identifying trends and opportunities, they optimize campaigns, refine strategies, and provide affiliates with data-driven insights to improve their performance.
- Creative Resource Management: To ensure affiliates have the necessary tools for effective promotion, affiliate managers coordinate the creation and distribution of creative resources. This includes providing banners, text links, promotional codes, and other assets that affiliates can utilize to maximize their marketing efforts.
- Compliance and Fraud Prevention: Maintaining compliance with industry regulations and ensuring the integrity of affiliate programs is a critical responsibility of an affiliate manager. They enforce ethical practices, monitor for fraudulent activities, and take necessary action to protect the brand’s reputation and the interests of both affiliates and customers.
- Performance Incentives and Rewards: To motivate affiliates and incentivize exceptional performance, affiliate managers design and implement reward structures such as tiered commission rates, bonuses, and exclusive promotions. By recognizing and rewarding top-performing affiliates, they encourage loyalty and long-term partnerships.
- Industry Monitoring and Innovation: Affiliate managers stay abreast of industry trends, emerging technologies, and competitor strategies. They explore new affiliate opportunities, evaluate potential partnerships, and introduce innovative marketing techniques to keep the company’s affiliate program ahead of the curve.
What Kind of Activities or Projects do They Work on?
Affiliate managers will work on projects that relate to the successful execution of affiliate campaigns. This might be setting up new programs for an advertiser, suggesting suitable terms that affiliates need to abide by, and creating the marketing content such as links or banner images. There is also a coaching aspect to the role, as affiliate managers often support affiliates on the best way to maximize their click-throughs. They do this by advising them on copywriting techniques, the best promotional channels, and other marketing tactics.
For programs that are already running, affiliate managers deal with the day-to-day inquiries from affiliates and implement promotional campaigns that create sustained referral traffic. They are also responsible for reporting, evaluating what is working well, and identifying opportunities for further improvement. If they work for dedicated affiliate marketing companies like Advertise Purple, then they also fulfill an account management role and support advertisers with their needs.
Skills of an Affiliate Manager: To excel in this multifaceted role, affiliate managers require a diverse skill set, including:
- Excellent Communication: Clear and concise communication skills are essential for building relationships, providing guidance, and resolving conflicts effectively.
- Analytical Abilities: Proficiency in data analysis enables affiliate managers to identify trends, optimize campaigns, and make informed decisions based on performance metrics.
- Creativity: Crafting compelling promotional strategies and designing engaging content demand creative thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Negotiation and Influencing: Affiliate managers must negotiate agreements, persuade potential affiliates, and advocate for the program’s interests.
- Tech Savviness: Familiarity with affiliate tracking platforms, reporting tools, and marketing automationsoftware is crucial for managing and optimizing affiliate campaigns efficiently.
The role of an affiliate manager is integral to the success of an affiliate program. From recruiting and onboarding affiliates to fostering relationships, optimizing campaigns, and ensuring compliance, their responsibilities encompass a wide range of tasks. By effectively managing partnerships, providing support, and implementing strategies to drive growth, affiliate managers play a vital role in maximizing the potential of affiliate marketing. With their diverse skill set and dedication, these professionals help businesses thrive in the dynamic and ever-expanding world of online marketing.
What Does a Typical Day Look Like?
As with most roles, activities can vary so there isn’t necessarily a ‘typical day’. However, most affiliate managers will have a number of responsibilities, such as;
- Overseeing the day-to-day management of affiliate campaigns to ensure maximum ROI is achieved
- Recruiting and training new affiliates to maximize the quality and quantity of their referral traffic
- Initiating new campaign ideas, including incentivization and bonuses for the program
- Developing affiliate marketing strategies that deliver specified sales volumes
- Analyzing program and campaign activity to identify opportunities for improvement
- Delivering affiliate marketing reports to advertisers and senior management
- Ensuring that commissions and invoices are paid in a timely and accurate manner
Are Affiliate Managers Really Needed?
Affiliate managers play a vital role in the success of campaigns for affiliate programs. Many people mistakenly think that they can simply add affiliate links to their website and the commissions will start pouring in. But the truth of the matter is that a lot of optimization needs to take place in order for this to happen – and this is where affiliate managers come in. They’ll coach and support the affiliates to maximize the quality and quantity of their referrals, which generates the best possible results for advertisers. Without an affiliate manager, it can be difficult to achieve the outcomes that you’re looking for since you’re relying on the ability of the publisher alone.
The affiliate manager also takes much of the work out of managing the channel. They reply to all the email queries and new applications, as well as resolving the problems that can sometimes arise. It’s also this person’s job to enforce the terms of the program, such as not bidding on branded keywords. They take care of these elements so that your campaign generates highly profitable income for your business.
Looking for Help with Affiliate Management?
At Advertise Purple, our dedicated team of affiliate managers can help you to extend your reach and generate high-quality leads. We have a network of best-in-class publishers who create engaging content that’s aligned with your strategic objectives. Plus, you’ll benefit from our industry-leading technology which makes tracking and reporting a breeze.
Our experienced team of professionals is always up-to-date with the latest developments in affiliate marketing. We can help you to set up a brand-new affiliate program or manage an existing campaign to maximize results. We can even have one of our affiliate managers do a complementary analysis and strategy session. Contact us today by calling 424-272-7400, filling out the form below or emailing [email protected].
CONNECT TO AN EXPERT
For new partnership and affiliate management inquiries please email:
For General Inquiries please email:
- 2019 new years resolutions
- 2023 marketing trends
- a360 media
- affilate network
- affiliate agency
- Affiliate Marketing
- affiliate marketing definition
- affiliate marketing strategy
- affiliate marketing trends
- affiliate network
- affiliate spotlight
- ai influencers
- artificial intelligence
- brand personalization
- buy side
- california consumer privacy act
- cart abandonment
- corporate philanthropy
- corporate training
- customer acquistion costs
- customer experience
- customer lifetime value
- customer loyalty
- customer profiles
- customer relationships
- digital advertising
- direct selling
- e-commerce trends
- ecommerce trends
- email targeting
- employee engagment
- employee satisfaction
- hybrid work schedule
- in the name of grace
- inhouse affiliate program
- international sales
- lead generation
- loyalty programs
- luxury retail
- market size
- new business
- online retail
- online shopping
- paid advertising vs affiliate
- performance marketing
- president's club
- rakuten advertising
- social commerce
- social committee
- social media
- social network
- social proof
- team building
- traffic sources
- video content
- wall street journal
- what is affiliate marketing
- why hire us
- why should i use affiliate